Welcome back to Chain Reaction.
To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s biggest and most important crypto stories delivered to your inbox every Thursday at 12pm PT, Subscribe here,
Another week in crypto means another opportunity for the US Securities and Exchange Commission to work on crypto projects. On Wednesday, the SEC charged longtime celebrity couple Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher with allegedly offering their NFT-based web series “Stoner Cats” as unregistered securities. I feel like I could make a joke here, but maybe it would purr-ty Cat-Astronomical.
Separately, we’ve launched additional coverage from Korea Blockchain Week and Telegram has added a self-custodial crypto wallet globally (ahem, excluding the US), among other things. More details below.
This week in Web3
- USDC Issuer Circle has expanded its Asia focus to take advantage of the region’s thriving payments ecosystem (TC+).
- Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher’s ‘Stoner Cats’ NFT taken down by SEC
- Institutional crypto adoption on the rise in Asia as US markets remain questionable (TC+)
- MobileCoin, which powers Signal’s anonymous crypto payments, appoints new CEO
- Telegram adds self-custodial crypto wallet worldwide except US
- Coinbase ‘committed’ to India, but disables sign-ups amid regulatory hurdles
For this week’s episode, Jacqueline She was sharing a panel she moderated live at Avalanche House while she was in Seoul, South Korea for Korea Blockchain Week.
The panel focused on the biggest opportunities and challenges facing the Web3 enterprise and included the following speakers:
- Dan Sun, Startup Success Manager, Web3 APAC Lead, Google Cloud
- Gagan Mac, Product Head at Circle and Senior Director, Web3 Services
- Johan Eid, Chief Business Officer of Chainlink Labs
- Lihan Lee, Co-CEO and Founder of Zangle
We discussed the state of Web3 enterprise adoption today compared to previous quarters and years and the impact the disruptive events of 2022 will have on the space.
We also talked about:
- regulatory investigation
- The next wave of enterprise adoption
- New Web3 Enterprise Use Cases
Agree chain reaction But apple podcast, spotify Or to keep up with the latest episodes on your favorite pod platform, and if you like what you hear please leave us a review!
follow the money
- 0xPass raises $1.8 million from Balaji Srinivasan and others to build secure login system for Web3
- Brine Fi challenges Coinbase, Binance with decentralized exchange as it secures $16.5M funding round led by Pantera
- Founder of NFT startup Rario to leave a year after $120 million funding
- Thailand’s KBank launches $100 million fund focused on AI, Web3 and “deep tech”
- Blockchain infra startup Movement Labs raises $3.4 million in pre-seed round
This list was compiled from information from Messari as well as TechCrunch’s own reporting.
What else are we writing about
Do you want to step into the world of Web3? Here are some articles on TechCrunch that caught our attention this week.
- Apple Event 2023: Everything you need to know about iPhone 15, Apple Watch, USB-C connector
- OpenAI to open its first EU office as it braces for regulatory hurdles
- Microsoft reveals how hackers stole its email signing keys… kind of
- This startup has 12 co-founders (TC+)
- Here’s how we raised a Series B for our AI startup during a recession (TC+)
Follow me on Twitter @Jacqmelinek For breaking crypto news, memes and more.